Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Chapter 10...Journal entry from an Indian on "The Trail of Tears"

Our long trip to The Indian Territory is nearly half way over now. It is rather humiliating being herded like cattle from our own home in North Carolina to some deserted wasteland that the American government has chosen for us. It is so unfair that we are being moved after all we have done for this country. I personally fought under General Andrew Jackson in the War of 1812 at the Battle of Horseshoe Bent and this is the thanks I get. We should of killed that good-for-nothing back-stabber when we had the chance to.
The past four months have been long and cold. We walk all day long and at night we build fires to keep from freezing to death. The soldiers of the U.S. army have been growing more and more impacient with us as the days go by. Whenever some of the older members in the tribes fall behind, they are often just left there to die in the bitter cold. We have lost many of our people not only due to the extreme weather, but also because of the lack of food. Some days I am so weak that I think I will fall face-first into the ground and die.
How many Cherokee Indians will acually reach this new territory alive remains to be seen. Some tribes have broken away and are hiding in the mountains back east, and I am beginning to wonder if I should have joined them too. I just hope that after we reach this new land that we will never be booted from our homes again.

5 Comments:

Blogger milioni said...

i dont know what to say this is a perfect project i am truly i am truly amazed i am so proud of you this brings tears to my eyes i dont know how you express yourself tyler douglas vonberge you are a one of a kind friend i hope you will teach me more u.s. history as our friendship grows

November 26, 2004 at 8:47 AM  
Blogger Amanda W said...

wow! FANTASTC! AmAzInG! GrEaT A++
:)

December 10, 2004 at 9:00 PM  
Blogger 07grad said...

wow! really sad. no wonder all the indians think that everybody owes them something

December 11, 2004 at 7:05 AM  
Blogger egrebnov said...

poor, poor, poor indians!!!!

December 11, 2004 at 8:36 AM  
Blogger Amanda Lutter said...

Tyler,
I wrote about the Cherokee Trail of Tears too. I enjoyed reading your spin on the story!

December 13, 2004 at 5:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home